Home security should be a top priority for any homeowner, but especially for someone who has recently moved. If you’ve recently moved into a new home, it’s important to remember some simple steps to ensure you keep your property and your family as safe as possible.
- Change the locks. This may seem obvious, but many new home owners and renters don’t update door locks when they move in. Remember that anyone who has lived in your house before may have made key copies, handed them out to friends or family or even lost them. This should be the first step in home security for any new home owner.
- Install motion lighting. This quick and inexpensive tip will add extra lighting to exterior walk-ways or entries. It will drastically improve your quality of life, and also serve as a deterrent for burglary. Better lighting can also create a safer enviroment around your preimeter, making it an importnant component of any home security system.
- Do some yard work. A well-manicured lawn and hedge line will demonstrate to any potential burglars that the home is lived-in and maintained. This is an automatic deterrent and will be sure to improve your curb appeal! A well-maintained property is often a well-secured property.
- Create an inventory of valuables. You may have added more valuables in a big move, or even donated or sold off items. Moving is the perfect time to update your inventory of valuables, and update your renters or home owner’s insurance policy too. It’s also important to take this inventory regularly throughout your life, and especially before installing a home security system or after a big move.
- Schedule a consultation. A new home is a big investment, and the biggest step you can take to keep your family and your valuables safe is to schedule a consultation with a security tech who will take the time to understand your needs and design a home security system that’s right for you.